Again in 1914 it was the North Eastern Railway Company who began construction on the No.1 Oil Jetty at Salt End, 1
mile east of King George Dock.
It was used for the tankers to import bulk Oil and Spirits, this was required due to the growth of transport and needs of other industrial processes.
The expansion of the this trade led to the construction of a second Jetty in 1928 to the west of No. 1 jetty providing a further deep water berth. Each of the Jetties projects into the River Humber where a minimum depth of 40 feet is available at all states of the tide.
In 1958 work started on No.3 jetty in reinforced concrete, and provision was made for the rebuilding of No.1 jetty to the west of it and work was completed in 1959 after the jetty built in 1914 had been demolished.
The next Jetty demolished was No.2 which was started early in 1977 and finished by the end of that year.
Over the years an Industrial Estate has built up on land around the Jetties and the processing of the Oil, Chemicals and Spirit is carried out there. The bulk substances are discharged at the head of the jetties using the equipment that links the tanker pumps to the extensive pipelines and through them to shore installations and storage tanks.
BP enlarged the complex by spending millions of pounds on the installation of two plants, one for Acetic Acid and the other Ammonia.
This dock opened on the 26th June 1914 by H.M. King George V and H.M. Queen Mary, 16 years after it was proposed and discussed. This was due to the successful opposition from the Humber Conservancy Board to the original plans and construction,
stating it would divert the stream of the River Humber.
It was built by the North Eastern and the Hull & Barnsley Railway Companies and was known at first as the Joint Dock. This dock was the first fully electrically operated dock in the UK. It is 53 acres insize and has a lock entrance that is 85 feet wide and provides berths for the largest vessels using the Port Of Hull.
The main use of the port at first was the export of coal. This was partly due to the close proximity of the coalfields of Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire and Yorkshire and at the height of the coal exports Hull had connections to over 380 coalmines.
In 1919 an import grain silo was built at the north west arm of the dock where it had two berths for discharging the grain. It was used to redeliver the grain by sacks or bulk using Water Transport, Road and Rail.
When the export of coal declined the quays at the north of the dock were switched to other cargoes, mainly wool, meat fruit, vegetables and other perishable goods, while the south side of the docks was used for the traffic of Pitwood, Sawnwood, Ores, Pig iron, Rough copper and scrap metal and the shipping of Iron & Steel, machinery and other products.
The east of the dock was used to build two graving docks capable of taking the largest ships using the port.
When the 1960s came the traffic between Britain and the Continent had increased and this changed the usage of the ships and special vessels were built to cater for this trade. These were the Roll on Roll off vessels which enabled the traffic to drive on and off. New services were started and they became known as Ro-Ro berths, in 1965 North Sea Ferries and Ro-Ro Berths began a service between Hull and Rotterdam Europort in the Netherlands. Later another service was added, Hull to Zeebrugge in Belgium, and in 1996 they were bought by P&O and renamed P&O North Sea Ferries.
A service between England and Sweden was started in 1966. More Ro-Ro terminals were built at 15 shed in King George Dock and they opened on the 23rd January 1973 and at 10 Quay West.
To the South East of King George Dock were tidal mudflats where in 1968 work started to reclaim them and this formed the new South East arm extension. Queen Elizabeth Dock was opened on the 4th August 1969 at a cost of £6,750.000 by H.M. Queen Elizabeth II with H.R.H. The Duke of Edinburgh and H.R.H. Princess Anne. The ports container terminal situated on Queen Elizabeth Dock was opened on the 4th October 1971.