Built to the west of Hulls original docks it was opened on Monday 24th September 1883 at a total cost of
It was not originally built for the fishing trade, which in 1883 consisted of around 420 Smacks, but as the expected trade did not materialise for it when it was completed, it was decided to turn the dock over to them and named it after the Patron Saint of fisherman.
At the opening ceremony all the VIP's were taken to the new dock either aboard the Trinity House Yacht 'The Duke of Edinburgh' or the steamer 'Isle of Axholme' and it was opened by the Chairman of
the Hull Dock Company, Mr. J. R. Ringrose.
This was the last dock to be constructed by the Hull Dock Company due to the almalgamation with the North Eastern Railway on the 1st July 1893.
With the increase of tonnage using the dock it was decided in 1895 to build an extension to the west of St. Andrews Dock and it was opened in 1897.
This dock was unique in that all Hull's Fishing Industry and its activities took place on the dock estate. On the north side of the dock were the fish quays and the railway sidings. On the south side
of the dock on the banks of the Humber the Service Industries were housed which included Ship repair shops, ship riggers, net and rope store, the Ice Factory and Fish Meal Plant.
It contained all the industries to make it an independent community, the Post Office, and this housed the busiest telegraph in Britain, also there were Insurance building, Banks, Trawlermans Outfitters and of course coffee shops.
In 1972 because of the amount of money needed to repair the Fish market it was decided to move the fishing industry to its new home on Albert Dock and in 1975 on November 3rd St. Andrews Dock was closed to shipping.
In 1985 the dock was filled in when a multi-million pound scheme was introduced to turn it into a Leisure and Industrial Park, and on its opening was named St. Andrews Quay.
The Hull Dock Company had its monopoly broken when the newly formed Hull and Barnsley Railway Company was given the
tender to build the Alexander Dock, which was to be built to the east of Victoria Dock despite having bitter and prolonged opposition.
Construction started during January 1881 on a total area of about 192 acres of which most was below the High-Water mark, so an embankment was constructed 40ft high and 6000 feet long to reclaim the foreshore required. The actual works consisted of a dock of 46 acres which had a dock wall from 52 - 62 feet in height and 2 miles long, 2 large dry docks and lock 550 feet long with an 85 foot entrance.
The dock was opened on Thursday, 16th July 1885 by the wife of Lt Colonel Gerard Smith. M.P. Chairman of the Hull & Barnsley Railway Company, who stood in for Princess Alexandra and the Prince of Wales who were unable to attend at the last minute.
In 1899 an extension was opened with a total water area of 17 acres at the east end of the dock.
This dock was the first in Hull to be built with the accommodation for larger cargo vessels, which followed the introduction to steam power for ships. The Hull & Barnsley Railway Company in 1911 built the River Pier next to Alexander Dock. The pier which is to the west of the dock entrance stands 400 feet into the River Humber and is 1300 feet long with a minimum depth of 18 feet of water. It was linked to the shore with two gantries which had an elelectric conveyor belt running over it capable of moving 600 tons an hour.
On the pier were transit sheds used by vessels in the Continental fruit and vegetables trade. The two dry docks on the north east corner were mainly used for the servicing of vessels by local ship repairing firms.
On September 30th 1982 the dock closed to commercial shipping and many of the building were listed as architectural and historic interest in August 1990 by the Department of the Environment.
In 1991 British Ports Authority opened Alexander Docks again to commercial traffic due to the inceased demand for port facilities.
Today it is a very busy dock unloading many different cargoes.
With the need for quick turn around facilities and the growth of the Fruit and Vegetable trade, led in 1907 to
the North Eastern Railway Company building the 2,500 feet long Riverside Quay to the south of Albert Dock.
The berths were used for quick handling of vessels on overnight runs to and from the continent, mainly carrying perishable goods inwards and taking passengers both ways.
Railway facilities were built alongside the quay and this enabled it to become part of the journey for many immigrants, who disembarked at Hull, then went by train to Liverpool to finally join the Ocean Liners for the journey to America across the Atlantic.
The quay structure was built mainly of timber and in 1941 was destroyed by fire as a result of enemy air raids.
It was later rebuilt with concrete to the length of 1065 feet. It was opened by the Princess Royal on the 12th May 1959.
The quay had 3 transit sheds each 288 feet long and 82½ feet wide with 9 Semi Portal electric Cranes. The berths had a water level of 19½ feet at low tide while at the highest spring tide it could be as much as 40 feet.
At the east end of the quay H.M. Customs Facilities and a Passenger Terminal with all amenities was built The Transit sheds were finally modified into Offices and Accomodation for the Fish Merchants and now are part of the new Fish Docks next to Albert and William Wright Dock, also the cranes have been removed and the quay is now used for short stay lay-by for vessels. If and when the need arose the quay could easily be put back into use.